Need a last minute gift idea? Make some homemade granola. After it cools put it in a ziplock bag. Make a quirky handmade label out of folded over cardstock and staple it to the bag. We’ve come up with 4 different varieties.
- Grizzly Bear Granola – with walnuts, and dried mixed berries (cranberries, cherries, and blueberries). So called because if you get between them and their granola it will be like waking up a hibernating bear.
- Angry Monkey Granola – with banana chips, dried pineapple, coconut, and either macadamia nuts or cashews. So called because if you get between them and their granola they will fling their poop at you.
- Rabid Squirrel Granola – with unsalted sunflower nuts or pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, and white chocolate chips. So called because if you get between them and their granola it will be as if a rabid squirrel jumped on your head and bit your nose with their big rodent teeth.
- I’m Not a Morning Person Granola – just plain granola, no added anything. So called because if you get between them and their granola you will see why they are not a morning person. (Don’t go there – it might be the scariest scenario of all. Trust me because I’m Not a Morning Person!)
Here is the basic recipe:
- 3/4 C. canola oil
- 3/4 C. honey
- tsp. vanilla
- 6 C. rolled oats (not the quick cooking kind)
- whatever extras you want to add. Adding about 1-2 cups of each extra ingredient. (the dried fruit gets added at the end after the granola has baked)
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Mix everything (except dried fruit) together in a big bowl. Pour onto baking sheet, spreading out into one layer. Bake for about 25 minutes, stirring the mixture occasionally. Let cool completely.
Make up your own mixtures and names, have fun!