Too, too many bees buzzing in my head. Today this is the depository:
1. The top photo is the second hive cutting I did mounted on navy paper.
2. I just viewed the Cindy Sherman exhibit on-line. I won’t argue that she is insanely talented, but I have to say I find her work disturbing and grotesque. Clowns-ugh, they really tap into my clown phobia. And that’s just for starters. Many of her photos I find repulsive, but I’m guessing that is one of the reactions she is anticipating with her work.
4. This etsy video of Natalie Chanin, has renewed my infatuation with her craftsmanship and her business philosophy.
5. Some new to me favorite musicians: Jono McCleery, Bedouin Soundclash, Dr. Dog, Junip, Justin Townes Earle, Tristen, Yukon Blonde, The Orbans, Luisa Maita (I don’t understand a single word of this last one, but it makes me feel like a world traveler!) All of these found on a promotional CD from Teva.
6. I’m currently reading Eat Love Pray. I was predisposed to hate this book, and in fact I had vowed to never read it. Thinking to myself what a self-indulgent, whiny, and annoying book. However, having just finished the Pray section I must eat crow or admit that I myself am self-indulgent, whiny and annoying because so much of the book is resonating with me. Here’s the thing, some of us take longer to come to our own truth then others. For whatever reasons, and because we have so de-selfed ourselves that the path to wholeness is a very long journey indeed. Now, would I love to have a year in which to travel and “find myself”? Absolutely. Is that going to happen? No way. But I think I can continue to find my heart in the context of where I’m at right now.
7. A fellow papercutter’s amazing cut of her father’s beloved dog.
8. Just for kicks and grins I had the boys take The Five Love Languages Test for Teenagers. (Thanks Melinda) M.’s is Quality Time. E.’s is Quality Time with Acts of Service a close second. N.’s is Affirmation and Acts of Service. This is the way they most experience love and get there tanks refueled.
9. Mailing off this papercut to a delightful person who asked me to create a papercut inspired by Otomi textiles. She also told me this, “Love these. I think others would love it too. You should list it!!. Thanks sooooo much. People like you are why I love etsy. ” It very nearly made me cry. Which is something else too, lately I get so happy weepy over things… Is this normal? Is it hormonal? Have I evolved? Or is my weirdness just leaking out in a new way?
9. Part 1 of an interesting dialogue about being a crafty (as in maker of things) consumer.
10. Revisiting this video. Why? Because it contains such an important message. Don’t quit! Keep making, writing, photographing, cooking, whatever it is that got you into the game!
I know this is a long post with lots and lots of links…definitely a brain dump. But I’ll be away for a bit. The days are so gorgeous, and I’ve got lots of projects I’m working on.